Bee Progress

Well after several days of letting the bees get settled, it was time for a hive check. Plus I really was a bit anxious to see what they'd been up to since their arrival on Monday.

What fun it was to be fully geared up and able to get a closer look at the bees in action. Using my smoker I blasted away trying to make sure the bees were nice, calm and distracted. It was easy as pie trying to get into the hive and do an inspection. First on my agenda was to remove the queen's cage that she had been shipped in. It was completely empty of both her and her candy. It looks as if they'd just started to build a comb around the edges so I was thankful to have it removed from there.



You know I worry about squishing bees so I tried to carefully slide the top bars apart to get the queen's cage out and then inspect the hive. It was challenging but pretty non-eventful. With a little maneuvering I was able to push them back down under the bars as I closed them back together. I was really happy to see that the bees has already constructed several combs about 3-4 inches square. There probably were more but I stopped looking as to not disturb them any further.

Removing the feeding can that came with was another task I had to take care of too. It was bone dry. I was thankful it was pretty full when I got the bees on Monday because of all of the rain we've had lately. It was just near impossible for them to gather much food for themselves.

Speaking of food, I was able to take some close-up shots of the bees going in and out of the hive entrance. I was fascinated by the amount of golden yellow pollen they could carry on their tiny feet! Click on the image to get a closer look.



Several people have told me beekeeping is addictive. Well, I am already a believer. I wonder what the rest of the year has in store.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this. I am absolutely fascinated by beekeeping and have toyed with the idea of getting my own hive. I've been warned by friends that it is definitely addictive. Keep up the posts!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still scary to me, but I am fascinated by watching you. Maybe I will lose my fear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The enlarged photo of pollen on the bee's feet is amazing! Entire post of very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to seeing how this goes for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a nice post. I was wondering how your new bee buddies fared since arrival. Excellent pic of the pollen 'booties' on that little gal. Look forward to more posts. Have you named them all yet? ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your addiction grows! That's what the rest of the year holds for you!

    Just as an aside...you might consider smokeless beekeeping...I never use smoke any more. If you have the time and can work slower/more carefully, your bees will not require smoke. Lots of old-time beekeepers are skeptical, but it works well for me...teaches you to slow down and really work your bees rather than "work-over" your bees...something to consider!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post. I look forward to hearing more. Char

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...