A Day of Deadheading

No, I've not been jamming out to Jerry Garcia and The Grateful Dead. It would be interesting though. Too bad that the radio station wasn't running a Grateful Dead tribute while I was out deadheading in my yard. That would really be cool.

There are several really strange definitions for the term, so I'd better be more specific.

Deadheading -  To encourage continued plant growth and beauty by removing spent flowers and seed pods. By removing the dried-up flowers, the plant can use its energy to produce more flowers instead of seeds.

Today I tackled my roses and penstemon.


Rose Bush Needing Deadheading
Penstemon Needing Deadheading


Bucket #1 of 2 Spent Flowers


Hopefully over the course of the next few weeks, I will see the new growth and flowering start again. That's what will make it worth the pink tinged sunburn I got today working on this. It was so nice outside I hated to go inside for breaks. Gardening is such great fun!

Here is a great guide for deadheading I found from Garden Gate magazine. I have subscribed to them for years and I love how much they help with flowers. This is a pdf file to download if you are interested. -- Deadheading Guide

Deadheading today and what tomorrow? I need to start on my garden enclosure, that's what.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...